Saturday, January 31, 2009

A New Year's Resolution...Kind of...

I'm not much for New Year's Resolutions in the traditional sense. It hasn't always been this way. Oh, I've tried to change huge things in my life and usually failed within a month. So, several years ago, I decided that if I make any kind of resolution, it would be to do something fun, and potentially new. One year I went parasailing. Another year I finally took tennis lessons, something which I've wanted to do for a very long time. This year, I wanted to attempt a quilt. For a sewing novice this is a pretty daunting undertaking, so I signed up for a class at a local quilt shop. I had my first class, and it was fun, HARD, and kind of exciting, knowing that at the end of five weeks (in theory!) I will have a quilt.
I picked fabrics, which was difficult. Five fabrics and I was sweating and stressing. I'm not like other people. I have a severe fabric-go-together deficiency. I was not born with this skill, and after agonizing in not one, but TWO fabric stores, I picked these fabrics. All but one are Amy Butler. Our homework is to cut the fabric for two of the blocks and then sew together the first one. So, I am excited, and I'm glad that I picked fabrics that I love, and that will feel wonderful running through my hands as I feed it into the sewing machine. And my husband is in total agreement, since he said that quilts are something that stick around much longer than say...an article of clothing. "This quilt you are making, it might end up in Emi's house one day. So, buy the good stuff." Boy, I love that guy! So wish me luck!!

No comments: