Saturday, January 31, 2009

She has a name, too...


I finally finished this doll using the Wee Wonderfuls Pattern for the Chloe doll. It was long, painful, and riddled with mistakes (the least of which was not over stuffing the doll, or sewing the legs on the wrong way...). But I learned a lot. Like I have a HUGE amount of respect for doll makers. I always have, but I'm sure you've heard the phrase about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Um yeah, I TRUDGED!
Anyway, I ended up painting the face on the doll, and it turned out really well. I was really dreading cutting up tiny bits of felt, so I thought paint would make a nice alternative, so I used some acrylic craft paint, a teeny little brush. My little girl loves coming to the fabric store with me, and I usually let her pick something out. One time she selected a bunch of fat quarters, and the dress was made from one of those. I was so frustrated by tiny little clothing that I didn't put sleeves on it. Frankly, I ran out of steam. For the whole project, not that it would have taken very long had I kept at it. I fell out of love, but persevered, and voila!! My little girl now has a new doll, and upon seeing her, christened her...April. I don't know where the name came from, but here is April in all of her mistake riddled glory. Emi doesn't seem to mind and April has been a constant presence in her bed since she was finished.
I wish I was as talented as Hilary from Wee Wonderfuls, and I'm sure with more practice, my dolls would improve, but the frustration level while attempting this is still too fresh in my mind. In six months I will have forgotten the sailor-mouthed diatribes and try again.

1 comment:

dana said...

Adorable! Love those yarn buns.