Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So THAT'S why people go to thrift stores!!

I had some time to kill before I picked Emi up from school yesterday, so I ran over to the Goodwill store. My husband and I were just strolling through when he pointed out a FILTHY plastic sewing machine box. Hmmm...can a girl who sews POSSIBLY pass up a sewing machine box without looking inside? As I pulled it out, I began thinking...this is going to be some totally disgusting yellowed plastic monstrosity, that I'm going to shove right back under the shelf. Imagine my shock when I opened the case and I saw THIS!!!
(Sorry for the sideways picture, Blogger won't let me flip it!) An antique cast iron ( I think, it weighs a TON!) Kingston sewing machine.

And it works!! For $24 dollars, I could not resist, and bought it. My husband cleaned it when we got home, while I searched the internet for information on it. Sadly, I couldn't find much in the way of info. I DID find a site where I think I can get a reprinted manual, and a couple of sites where various Kingston machines were for sale. I think it might be affiliated with Brother, and I know it was made in Japan, potentially from 1945 to 1954 or so. I also read that Post War Japan basically "borrowed" Singer's design and churned out quite a few machines that are basically Singer knockoffs. Even parts were basically interchangeable. Collectability for these machines isn't that high, and I paid pretty much what they go for. BUT! Who cares! What a cool old machine! I actually SQUEALED when I opened the box and saw it. For a split second I thought it was an old Singer...because of the shape.

Whoever used it before, had placed masking tape strips at two and a half inch, and four and a half inch intervals. Quilting, perhaps? The second picture with that beautiful scroll work plate, isn't that pretty? I'm not positive where I am going to put this thing, but I HAD to have it, even if is just for looking at. What a cool piece of history where sewing is concerned. Someone just like me sat in front of it for hours, sewing up fabric, creating...I am so glad I went to Goodwill yesterday!!

No comments: